Friday 2 January 2015

Kitchen Basics - Soup Stock

It's no secret to friends of mine that I love to cook.  I love to eat, too...but I love to cook even more, so sometimes I have to share the wealth.  We gave away a lot of jam and marmalade this holiday season, but I'm hoarding the fire salsa.  It's just too damn good.

One of the most basic stocks in my kitchen is stock.  Seems obvious, right? Making stock, if you aren't worried about making perfectly clear stock for consomme or other fancy frenchery, is really easy.


In my kitchen, all bones from any animal (including bones from restaurants) get tossed into a big bag in the freezer door.  I don't care whose mouth was on it - it's going to be frozen and then boiled to death...you're safe eating here, I think.  When the bag is full, it all goes in the stockpot with enough water to cover the bones.  Bring to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer.  Every once in a while, check it and add water if the level is getting low.  Add a couple glugs of vinegar - it helps the bones release minerals.  Stir it if you want to, but you don't need to.

After cooking a few hours (I have also been known to shut it down overnight, and boil it again the next day) the bones will be softer and the broth thicker.  Keep going as long as you like.  If you want the stock more concentrated, let the water level drop after a while.

When I decide it's done, I strain out the bones and let it cool off.  If you want to reduce the saturated fat, chill it overnight - this makes it easy to scoop the hardened fats off the top. The chilled broth turns into jello because of all the gelatin you've leached out of the bones.  THIS MEANS IT IS GOOD FOR YOU.  No more salt cubes in your kitchen!  Your joints will thank you for it.

Now, warm it up to liquid and pour into ice cube trays.  Once they're frozen hard, you can store them in freezer bags.  I have made stock out of everything from lamb to thanksgiving turkey to chicken feet, and they're all good.  Each batch is a little different - this month's looks like it's all from Shake'n'Bake wings...

No comments:

Post a Comment